So, I was late to the Mad Men phenomenon, but since I started it in the fall last year, I’ve been hooked.
It’s fascinating how well it captures the stress of creative careers and the agency environment and also, just how little has changed in the past 50 years.
Well, aside from all the smoking, suits, affairs — ok, maybe a lot has changed.
But hey, that’s to be expected!
Marketing and advertising have been completely turned on their sides in the last decade, let alone the last five.
Audiences are different and so are the tactics and strategies used to reach them. By necessity, that means the skills required of marketing professionals have progressed as well.
In a recent study by Gartner, analyst Christopher Ross, shared that corporations are seeking fewer specialist these days and more “Fat T” marketers who have several cross-functional skills.
Lucky for the job hunters out there, Getapp has compiled some of the top-ranked skills from the report in the infographic below.
Hard skills for modern marketers included:
- Analytics: Can interpret audience behavior, assess campaign performance, and measure ROI.
- Content Strategy: Defines content goals and uses SEO, link-building, and amplification best practices.
- Social Media: Help company make smart decisions with their time and money on social
- Mobile: Prioritize mobile marketing and delivering successful social campaigns on mobile.
- eCommerce: Can use insights about customers, campaigns, social, and mobile to help explore new channels
Meanwhile, the soft skills (or rather desirable traits) listed were:
- Creative: Brings new ideas and interpretations to problems and knows how to use the power of the well-written word
- Resourcefulness: Finds the most accurate sources of data and makes the most informed analysis
- Adaptability: Can change plans at the drop of a hat
- Collaboration: Works with different departments to optimize performance and provide insight to other teams
- Leadership: Lead & inspire peers with her insight, experience, and innovation.
Check out the full design below — and if you think have these skills and have what it takes to make an impact with us, check out our open positions!