I admit it: I have the advantage. Not (only) because I have passable knowledge about dog training and know how to teach dogs, but especially because I can learn from the “problems” and question marks of my clients. I am currently experiencing a very exciting phase with my young dog Eden. It was clear to me from the beginning that this would not be an easy task, just to take a third dog after the motto, where there are already two and three can be mastered. That is not so long. That wants to be considered carefully and when he is there, you get to know new boundaries.
On top of that, my favorite breed does not belong to the (attention label) sleeping pills. Boxers are strong, athletic, fast and powerful dogs. Young boys are usually a sublimation of it. As I said: it was not decided lightly.
Yeah, I hear it already: “the puberty” (can be, “there” is a lot of activity, “the test” (what, who?), “Who dances on your head” (jepp, especially in the morning when I’m still in bed), “he’s having a sensitive phase” (yes) and the usual “louts” Can everything be a bit … even dancing with that on the head … Who has Having said that it will be undulating, windless and boring with a puppy dog, I certainly do not, I like to say it to all puppy customers: that’s wonderful now, they are affectionate, obedient, seeking help and closeness with us and we are Please take advantage of this phase, get help with the education, go into good puppies and junior dog courses because …, dear customers, it will change,sometimes more, less, one dog more, the other less, one sex more, the other less (guess).
I was not in the Young Dog Course in my dog school. Of course this is not right and I often wonder if I practice enough with Eden. I talked a few days ago with a dear customer who has just a Berner Welpin. She has been through all the puppy hours and the young dog hours so far. She is very excited. “It works. What? Everything. Everything that matters. Living together. Anxiety-free, risk-free, young dog fair and “adapted” to the working life and family life of their people.
- Polling? sitting.
- See other dogs? Responsive and retrievable.
- Loose leash? running!
- Stay alone? go!
- To rest? check!
- Touch? it’s clear!
The beautiful is just as coherent and harmonious feels the work in the group. All participants are satisfied and enthusiastic. Of course, this does not just come from this one hour a week, but also from the fact that the exercises that were given on the way, daily a bit deepened. A little bit … you read that right. Here is a repetition with a reward and there is another. It is not more. And that’s what I wanted to get out of. The success of course depends in part on the choice of your dog school together. For the most part, however, he depends with the right dog attitude, the handling, with the proximity, with the security that the dog offers, with the practice together. In the ideal case, this will of course also be shown and explained to you in the dog school. I would like to mention, that I did not lead the young dog course myself, but Claudia. As you can see with this success!
Why am I writing about it? I have two ulterior motives: on the one hand, said customer tells me that in her immediate environment, two other young dogs are traveling. The mistress of it smile at my customer, because they are sure that the little mouse makes it all ONLY the treats. If the customer does not have a treat, she will experience her blue wonder, she is warned. My client is so convinced of her approach that she does not care, because she enjoys just being together with her little one to the fullest. It does not have to be anything but strangely enough it can do everything. The other dogs? Well, they come from over 500m. rushed, in the pig gallop. Then make wild and gruff things with the little Bernese, which naturally prevents mistress. But if my customer is lucky, In the middle of the onslaught a hare appears in the field, then the onslaught is diverted and the other mistress can look after another problem. I’m wondering all the time now. How (how, just HOW?) Does a dog get a safe call, WITHOUT reward? I do not know. But I do not have to worry about that, because … it does not work. Therefore, the question settles by itself.
Oh, life can be so easy. Dog is doing right. Schwups … feed crumbs in. Dog is rewarded, thinks about how he will come back to this and makes it next time or even better. That … is called positive reinforcement. This is anchored in nature by all living things and is also scientifically proven.
No wondering about: “But he has to do that for ME …” Because I feed him, I pay the insurance, I buy him a cot, I have brought him to me … So what this approach means is the dogs ” Gratitude “to hear us? Well then cheers! I wish a lot of patience.
How does one feel, if one lives in the assumption and the dog storms first to another dog and then still finds a rabbit even more important in the approach and does not respond to any call. How terribly humiliating and disappointing does that have to be? I’m suffering with you.
So now the second ulterior motive: back to Eden. Eden has landed in a family of dogs where two other dogs already live. On the one hand Hutchie, as Fr. Bulldog rather small, over 10 years old, back problems. Wenonah, boxer, soon 6 and to say the least “spirited” (attention label).
- First goal: Peace and harmony in the family in such a way that both already present dogs do not completely in the background or that their lives are so swirled by each other, that they have difficulties with it. That requires a good deal of consideration, effort and attention. From me, from the two older ones and also from Eden, I have to learn to take my time back, to wait, not to “attack” the others or to push away, to keep my distance. We practice this since the first day, in everyday life, in small inconspicuous situations: keeping still with the dishes, being loaded from the car, washing paws, staying alone in his room. Sitting and waiting. If he has his 35 kg muscle (I’m afraid) we’ll be grateful for that. Secret Weapon: Triangle Exercise. And for all there is reward in abundance.
- Second goal: we want to be able to walk on a leash in an upright position with 3 dogs. If train is formed is consistently stopped … if he runs well next to us with sagging leash, he will be rewarded for it – even if I did not say “foot”. At first he tended to bite on the leash. That too was trained. Secret weapon: mindfulness, patience and consequence.
- Third goal: he should stay close because I want that madness body like the other two, has enough freewheel. Attention, proximity, retrieval, stop signal. It’s all going very well, but we still have to deepen that with distraction. Secret Weapon: reward each contact and from time to time call up a recall celebration. Watch and reward in abundance.
To go back to the beginning of my text: Why do most young dog owners seek help and what could I learn from it?
- the dog is fastidious and inattentive,
- runs away, can not be leashed,
- can not wait,
- runs unchecked and like a madman over stick and stone,
- can not dry the paws, can not be touched,
- jumps on people (well, there we are still practicing a bit, although … with the seat we get it pretty good)
- pulls on a leash
- barks when he sees triggers
- can not drive a car
- bites us in the hands
- break everything
- can not stay alone
And again we can apply here the “positive” principle: what CAN he do? What works well? At this age, it’s not important to me that he learns special skills, such as dummy, or obedience, or any other requesting training. Or “paw” (well, if he does not mind), or “male”, you understand. At this age, it is important that he has a good young dog life. This is greatly facilitated by a good basic education:
- Without fear, without coercion, without claims that he just can not meet because of his age, without comparisons to other dogs or previous dogs, gruff games with other dogs.
- But with: A lot of closeness, a lot of attention, careful touch, nice and quiet words, a lot of fun for him and him (which can be loud, if it is not a herding dog (attention label!), Responsibility instead of ambition, dosed and supervised contact to other nice dogs.
Oh no, what else can Eden do? Hand touch, paw (!), Leash, leash, treats – threesome, a good reorientation, triangular exercise, claws cut. In the work are: circling, chin-touch, parking, looking for objects, he eats well and gladly, and can lie to rest, if none is due. Kissing and petting, of course. And all in small doses (except the latter) …