Are you building a brand that customers love?
In order for you to successfully develop an engaging user experience, you need to build real personal connections with real humans.
In this week’s episode of The IMPACT Show, Bob and Nick, discussed LinkedIn putting a renewed focus on Groups, maximizing the user experience, implementing live video and much more.
Just in case you missed us live (or if you want to relive the magic), you’ll find the episode’s show notes below as well as the recording.
Enjoy and make sure to share with your peers!
Have feedback or questions? We’d love to hear it. Comment on this blog or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What Marketers Be Talkin’ ‘Bout
Where we go over what you’re saying in IMPACT Elite.
IMPACT Elite is a community of passionate marketers looking to help other marketers succeed. We’d love for you to join us! Go to impactbnd.com/elite or just search the IMPACT Elite Group on Facebook and request to join.
- Corbin Rugh asked: “I’m just diving into navigating SEO for my company. Does anyone have an example of a site that uses h1 tags well? Thanks a million!”
- John McTigue: You can’t go wrong just pulling up the top inbound agencies by HubSpot tier or via blog posts that list the top agencies. If we don’t get it right, we lose business.
- Bob: On-Page SEO basics, optimize your page by using your focus keyword (do some keyword research to pick the best keyword for you) in the title tag, H1 tag, URL, meta description, and image alt tags. To John McTigue‘s point, your page should have a compelling header, but it doesn’t necessarily have to be the h1 tag that’s used for the header. You’re H1 can be optimized for the keyword, but even more importantly, your page needs to be optimized for the user’s experience.
- Dan Moyle asked: “When did FB start allowing pages to promote in your notifications? I do not like this page, I do not follow it … I have no connection to it as far as I know. Why do I care if they’ve posted a new video? Anyone else notice this new move? (This is the second time it’s happened with different pages, actually.)”
- Ali Parmalee: I haven’t seen this rolled out yet, but I’m checking with a few people to see if they’ve heard if it’s being tested. One thought is if you’re being targeted as a friend of someone who likes a page. But this is specifically for “Watch” which is not an option right now for placements (again, unless it’s in testing). Also, you may know this already, but if you see ads in your regular feed and want to know why you are being targeted for it, click the 3 dots and then “why am I seeing this?” On a side note, this is actually a great hack to help research targeting for our clients. We’ll interact with a competitor’s brand to get retargeted and then see who they are targeting.
Digital Marketing News
Where each week, Nick and Bob share one thing from the world of digital marketing that caught their eye.
- HubSpot now automatically combines all CSS files on HubSpot CMS hosted pages into a single combined and minified file at the time a page loads.
- Why does speed matter?
- Speed is crucial to your search ranking and user experience. In July 2018, Google will start to consider speed as a ranking factor for mobile search results and slow sites may not display as prominently.
- Even after a visitor lands on your website, 53% of mobile viewers will abandon a site that takes longer than three seconds to load. A fast site is a good user experience, and a good user experience leads to higher conversions.
- They’re claiming this change:
- Saw average page speed improvements of 210 milliseconds. Some customers have seen up to a 5-second improvement in page load times.
- Optimizing images
- Prioritize above-the-fold content
- Minimize requests… what does that mean?
- If you’re using WordPress, minimize the number of plugins
Social Media Today: LinkedIn’s Putting Renewed Focus on Groups, with New Tools and Options
- Relevant to you all because we talked about a couple shows back how FB is limiting the reach of page posts and how Groups are a great way to maintain/create more reliable reach.
- Heard about this story because I’m an admin on a number of groups, including the agency partner group on LinkedIn! Always loved the groups feature.
- The notice they sent: “Groups is at the heart of what makes Linkedin a place for professionals to help and support one another and the changes we’re planning with make Groups a bigger part of the Linkedin Experience.
- Sunsetting separate app this month.
- IMPACT Live
- Join over 500 members of the IMPACT Elite community in person for our very special 2-day event. Speakers include Dharmesh Shah, Ann Handley, David Meerman Scott, Marcus Sheridan, and more still to be announced.
- Event Date: August 7th and 8th
- Click here to register or learn more
… let’s move on to our next topic, but before we do…
Start thinking about how the things we’re talking apply to your company. If you have any challenges or questions that you want us to address, leave a comment or send us an email to email@example.com.
We’ll get to as many as we can either at the end of the show or during next week’s episode.
Creating an Amazing User-Experience Across the Entire Customer Journey
- Attracting Visitors:
- Do this: They Ask, You Answer
- Create a remarkable user experience
- Understand the questions that people are asking, and giving them the best answers
- Not that: Cheap writers / inexperienced content managers
- Don’t create content, to just have content
- Do this: They Ask, You Answer
- Do this: Real Personal Connections
- Not that: Spammy Email
- Do This: Focus the connection around the CONTENT/TOPIC of need they express interest in. Set a goal to provide value without having to sell anything.
- Not that: Sound desperate to get on the phone/into a demo
- Do this: Get trust + buy-in at the highest level
- Not that: putting all the work on your main champion to get everybody in the loop and on board
- Customer Success:
- Do this: Talk about this as a partnership and set regular (scalable) check-ins well before you need it.
- Not that: Stay the same
95% of Brand Execs Say Live Video is Key to Their 2018 Strategies
- Check out the article from Marketing Dive
- Nick’s overview
- In 2017, companies were on target to 130 billion on video. Almost twice as much as what they were planning to spend on tv.
- Live Video is blogging 15 years ago. Live video is where it’s at.
- How we do live video at IMPACT
- We have several shows:
- Video review live
- Website throwdown
- IMPACT Show
- It’s so real and human.
- Not that hard to do
- We have several shows:
- Ways to use live video:
- Training purposes (internal)
- Media influencer briefings
- Broadcasting in-person events
We would love your comments! Feel free to send us an email or comment on the Facebook thread.
If you really liked it, please give us a 5-star review on iTunes.
We’re going to IMPACT Elite to ask what you want us to talk about, so jump in on the post there.
Join Us Next Week!
We’ll be back again next Thursday, February 8th at 1:00 PM ET. While Nick is out on paternity leave, we will have a special guest co-host, who will be announced early next week.
Until next time… get out there and make it happen.